Data Consent and the Electoral Roll

Regulations, legislation, and completing forms…

…they aren’t the most exciting part of Church life, are they? But, the truth is, they are really important.

If we want to continue well with our strategies of Discipleship, Outreach and Serving the Community, then we need to make sure we are adhering to the rules that apply to us as a Church.

In May 2018, new Data Protection Legislation comes into force.


What does this mean for me?

It means that everyone who is a part of St Michael’s, needs to give informed consent to their information being stored.

Put simply, we need EVERYONE over the age of 13 to fill in this Data Consent Form.

If you are a parent of a child under the age of 13, please can you fill in the form on their behalf.


What about the Electoral Roll?

As well as the Data Consent Form, we also need to revise the Electoral Roll.

We do this every year, and 2018 is no exception!

It’s an integral part of being part of the Church of England.


I’m already on the Electoral Roll…

If you are already on the Electoral Roll and your details haven’t changed, you don’t need to complete an Electoral Roll form this year.

However, we still need you to fill in a Data Consent form.

If any of your details have changed, we will pick that up from your Data Consent form.

The next full renewal of the Electoral Roll will be in 2019, when everyone will need to apply again.


I’m not on the Electoral Roll. What’s it all about?

It’s the basic list in every parish of all those entitled to vote on elections within the Church of England.

But it’s not just a bit of paperwork!  It’s another way of saying “I belong”. It’s an act of commitment to the local church and to the church as a whole.

It also means you can have your say, and vote at our annual Vision Night on 18th April (the APCM).


Am I eligible?

If you meet the following requirements then yes, you certainly are!

  • Over the age of 16
  • Baptised
  • Live in the parish OR have attended St Michael’s regularly for more than six months

If you’re eligible to join, please do sign up!

You can check if you live within parish boundaries by entering your postcode here


How do I sign up to the Electoral Roll?

Please fill in an Electoral Roll form, paper copies are available in the reception of St Michael’s Centre. Or you can download one here.


I’m still not sure what form you want me to fill in!

If you are a part of St Michael’s, then we need you to fill in a Data Consent form.  Either complete this online form or complete a paper copy.

If we don’t have this consent from you, we will need to remove your details from our records.

If you would like to be added to the Electoral Roll, then we also need you to fill in this Electoral Roll form.  This must be a signed paper copy.


If you have any questions about this, please contact Laura (Church Administrator/Electoral Roll Officer) in the Church Office.